Thursday, August 09, 2007

Perseids Watch 2007.


I wonder how many people actually came to do astronomy; indeed, it was a strange and suspicious fact that many people were seen leaving the group in pairs.


No, I didn't see any meteors(sadly, the sky filled up with clouds at 2am, the time of the shower) but I did see Jupiter(with the Jupiter symphony blasting on my phone's speakers) as well as Sagittarius and Scorpio, along with a few other bright stars in the sky. I tried the telescopes but unfortunately they didn't make much difference. Spent most of the night hanging around the telescopes for a look in them, cycling blind in the middle of the field and finally taking some snack slack at 3am in 7-11 after giving up on the meteors.


Could hardly keep my eyes open the next day. I got home at about 4 and slept till 8; then got exhausted again at 11 and didn't wake up till 8am this morning. After that it was on and off till noon.


I do agree that bringing someone along to see the sky and stay up all night with you is a fun experience, but I was more than happy to settle for academic satisfaction - what the event was meant for - by quizzing the Astro members non-stop. There were the Cowherd and Weaver Maid stars and their story (which, as a side effect, added to the irritatingly romantic atmosphere) and Arcturus, the 5th(I think) brightest star in the sky. Antares, the heart of the Scorpion, was also a notable sight. Then Philip showed me the Butterfly cluster(no Butterfly Lovers Concerto to fit that one - which is a good thing, actually) and another one with a number that I forgot. Jupiter's four moons were no more than dots on the telescope but still visible.


It was a fun enough night for me - with the joke exchange with the Astro Club an added bonus. I dare say I gave them a good laugh with my cold jokes(and some of Audrey's racist ones added to my arsenal.)


Then my Dad comes in today and asks me: "So you saw Jupiter! What does it look like? Is it bigger than the Moon?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home