Friday, December 29, 2006

Just watched Death Note 2. Before I watched 1, but the movie holds its ground without the prequel's support.


The ending...was rather sad. It really shouldn't have ended like that, but I don't see how it could have ended any other way. Light was using the Death Note to kill criminals-but is in the end killed himself for his crime. Light started off trying to do good. But towards the end, he became manipulative, using others for his own good, and killing people he shouldn't have. He even tried to kill his own father- proof of his corruption.


He was doing his best for what he believed in. So did L, his opponent. But both of them were forced into corners, and Light began to abuse his power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely- although Light's power wasn't absolute, it was still great, and impacted his doings. He should not have died. All he had were good intentions. But you know what they say. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.


Many wish they could change the world. But would they do good with that power, regardless of their intention? Power is disastrous when abused...


I told Mr Lim Soon Lee at my SNYO audition. I play music, because every piece of music tells a story. I wish to bring that story to the audience. Music touches the hearts of people, and influences their emotions, making it powerful.


But can this, like other forms of power, be abused as well?


Light's physical actions were wrong. Yet what he did, overall, was not wrong. He was a good person; but he had to die for the good of others. Death Note 2, then, is a tragedy: a good man must die because of a single fatal flaw he has. He did his best and he lost. And he crushes all those who are close to him.


For that, I would salute him, were he a real person... as well as his opponent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home