Wednesday, May 30, 2007

There is a reason why they call it the art of war.


The similarities between dance and the martial arts are many; the form, the carefully timed rhythm of the blows, the two opposing sides engaged in question and answer.


A face-off between two highly skilled, evenly matched opponents is always a sight to see.


So it was that Golijov wrote Last Round - dance and battle fused as one - warriors with all the speed and gracefulness of dancers as they engaged in battle.


The concert is over. The battle continues. Piazzolla's spirit lives on, still fighting.


Adversaries yet partners. Without either side, there would be no show, no display of magnificence at all.


It never ceases to amaze me how two forces set on destroying each other somehow still need each other.


And that's tango. The two dancers that advance and retreat, but never touch; they will never meet. They cannot.


Concert was quite a success. Unfortunately I didn't manage to break my A string though I put the entire weight of my arm against it. Will be swapping it back for a Larsen soon...


It's our Last Round, the last clash, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.


another SYF piece etched eternally into my memory. Like the 8th quartet, I'll never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home