Monday, March 03, 2008

Not happy.

I do have confidence in my ability to finish my work and understand stuff that's been gone over in lecture. But here I am, stuck with a pile of tutorials due tomorrow and unable to do any one of them. It doesn't help that the last part of my notes has been left blank. Seriously, I cannot stand that lecturer; it's impossible to pay attention. Normally I can concentrate well enough in lecture - unless I'm really tired - but I can't do anything with this one. I'll probably have to find someone after PE today.


Now it's the weekend(or was, till 15 minutes ago.) Surely I can be spared 2 matches of DOTA? 2 hours compared to the rest of it sorting out worksheets, composing music(unsuccessfully) and puzzling over tutorials. Leaving me no time for cello practice; but that I attribute to the cacophonic cloud hanging perpetually over my house.


The good thing is that I've got my 2GB memory card up and it's 3/4 full with my favourite tracks. That means space for POTC and LOTR soundtracks - as well as symphonies and violin sonatas, normally restricted to just a few megabytes on my card as my favourites are all cello. I do think the sound of the cello is the best of them all(cello compositions are a different matter and it depends), but the violin is an equally good instrument in music-making. Cellos forgo versatility for the unique tone colour; which is why no matter how showy our pieces get, there's always something more for a violinist to brag about. Violinists can play a lot more notes with minimal movement. Each instrument has its own characteristic sound which makes it better in some ways than the rest, but to me, the perfect cello is nicer than the perfect violin.


Now, if only there were a way to play the cello like a violin...and I don't mean physical positioning. More of maximising the variety of tones while minimising hand movement. Something like that.


polarised and charged but resonance stabilised - to a certain degree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home