Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ideas have been running so fast these few days I'm scared to write anything for fear that I might regret it later. Although this is for my own use, I can't run away from the fact that other people inevitably read it - and could possibly make use of information in a way that wouldn't be so good for me.


No, a personal diary isn't the solution. A diary is a closed book which you keep in a drawer and no one reads it, end of story. The Web, however, is a gigantic place almost unbounded, and when I write here, it feels like I'm throwing my words into an empty void - which is decidedly more comfortable for me. The conclusion? I like open spaces and silence to think in. Unfortunately the two don't go together in Singapore...


Besides, I'd probably just lose the diary. My own self-constructed planner is often missing(or I'm missing the pen, which I will go pack into my bag NOW) so how am I supposed to cope with yet another book? One that I would have to keep to myself?


This is not saying that everyone should just go away and not read my scribblings. (Also I never said that everyone should read it.) I, like everyone else, have writings suitable for -everyone -friends -me only -whatever other groups you can think of to read, and I'm not writing a separate book/blog for every category, so I'll just stay with this blog and adapt to the rather public audience reading. It's just that things get a little troublesome around the -me only and -friends categories.


I would write on today's reading of What Is Art but I'm a bit tired. Maybe later - or maybe not at all, eventually forcing me to reread those chapters. No harm done - always good to get to know things better.


On the topic of books, I really need to set aside a whole morning/afternoon/something every week to go to the central library, sit, stone, and read. And borrow.


Knowledge is power, but is it possible that one could accumulate enough power in an area to distance oneself from the people who haven't?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home