Thursday, August 17, 2006

The exam scoresheet is back. Been waiting for it. Below are the examiner's comments and my own.

A(Gavotte)-29/30

Elegant and graceful playing; it had feeling and lovely tonal quality and control. This was very enjoyable and confident.

Me: That one went well. No comments.

B(Humouresque)-28/30

Warm and vibrant tone with lots of subtle gradation here. You sang the minor section beautifully and the humour of the outer parts came across. Very musical and assured in performance with only very small blemishes in control.

Me: Not much practice with Mr Chan's cello. It squeaked when I put too much pressure on it. Not very good when I used a cello I didn't know well on a heavier piece such as this.

C(Summertime)-30/30

Very expressive with a big range of tone controlled superbly. There was a fine sense of structured phrasing but also an innate sense of freedom in your playing.

Me: I practised this the least and I got 30!!?? Well since it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it=)

Scales-20/21

A very confident section, accurate and shaped playing. Just a touch more clarity could be achieved in tune.

Me: Higher than I expected. My scales weren't really that in tune. But well, he's a flautist, and everyone says woodwinds and brass aren't good at intonation because they just press down for their notes and they get them perfectly. Well, no harm done.

Sight Reading-21/21

Very fluent, expressive and a lovely interpretation.

Me: Well, it was good, but I don't think I deserved a 21? I was a little unclear on the last few notes. Stupid slip, really. Was nothing more than a simple 4th position shift.

Aural Tests-16/18

A and B very confident. C(i)alert (ii)one slip and time was in 3 not 2.

Me: So wasted! I generally pwn aural=( and I should not have made that mistake.

Additional Comments

Beautiful playing; congratulations on this success.

Me: Good, but could have been better. Sijin beat me by 1 mark. Hope to score better in the next exam.

Total: 144/150, distinction

Next stop YO auditions. Good luck to me on that.


Thanks Mr Teo, my piano teacher, for getting me started on this whole business of music which I simply can't live without now. Thanks also to Mr Chan Wei Shing, my horribly pro teacher for whose Rococo Variations I'd have paid an extra $50 to go down and watch. Along with him I'd like to thank specifically Alan, Lenard, Dennis and Calvin for teaching me sooo much about music, musicality, phrasing, practice methods, formulating my own fingering and outlining to me the importance of all the minor details. Mr Chan Yoong Han too(pwnz Trevor Sze!), conductor of HCISO for all the tips on orch pieces which transferred rather neatly over to my own exam music and had some impact there. Thanks to HCISO's own cello section, my section, for providing me with the motivational competition so I worked harder. Especially the SL. I guess I could thank NYSE's cellos as well and Trevor Sze. They were inspirational enough and far enough ahead of my standard(though I wish they hadn't been) for me to mug harder. Also thanks Li Zheng for being there to listen to cello talk=) finally, someone who understands what I'm saying. Helped my interest very much. Last but not least, all the rest of HCISO, that unique orchestra with the friendly, relaxed atmosphere. It's thanks to all of you that I practise hard, in an effort to give you all an ownage cello front desk=D


Long list, huh? I practically owe all of them my life as a cellist. No, as a musician. My piano is much-neglected and much less loved compared to my cello, but it's a part of me all the same.


I'm really exhausted today so I won't write any more. Yesterday I slept from 11 to 1, then mugged from 1 to 3, then went back to sleep again.Because of the 2 tests today and the trip to the Science Centre. Hopefully I'll get more of a break tomorrow.=D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home