Lessons at Mr Chan's house are always an entertaining experience.
I rang the bell today to find himself and the dog staring at me. The dog always seems to be around when I arrive. The lesson was interrupted at least twice by the dog and Anna, who always ends up playing something for me to hear in the middle of lesson - as well as getting to hear my unsatisfactory performance, on Mr Chan's cello too as mine is currently at Szabo's shop...
Anyway we tackled the Rach sonata today. Picked up quite a lot of points on phrasing and some fingerings(looks like more practice) and some bowing problems too. Dynamics were OK except for the usual request for me to play out more - which I should pay more attention to. It's a nice piece, but as I have mentioned before - I am utterly unable to convey any sense of love in my playing. After some time spent attempting to correct one of the more tender and delicate parts in the piece, a rather perplexed (can't find the right word here) Mr Chan finally took the cello and asked:"Do you have a girlfriend?"
Rhetorical question, Mr Chan.
Well, I'm afraid to say I didn't get most of his point there. I can imagine how it should sound(my imagination is generally a bit hazy though) but there's no way I've ever been able to bring out that sound.
I got a ride home off Mr Chan - after watching him trip over the rather startled dog which then continued staring at him and acting cute in a bid to be taken along.
If I ever get a dog, I want one just like his.
Practising the piano score really helped. I'm going to go on with it and pray for good results in the next test.
-----------------
Just went through Alan's blog. So what if you're not in our school anymore? Those years well spent are more than enough; you'll always be one of us, and all of us members of the HCI strings family; though in years to come there may be none who remember us in orch(except maybe Alan who will probably make some impact on the local music scene.)
I came for the love of music. I practised to fill the spot where there was need for me. I worked in a bid to match the accomplishments of a great leader. I made the best friends I've ever seen. I learned about music, I learned to speak out and I learned who I am.
I remember my speech on election day. Full of my trademark lame jokes. But I said, as I still do think, that I owed everyone a debt to be repaid. I served as QM - for better or worse, I don't know. But after two years, my debt has most definitely not been repaid. If anything, it has grown bigger...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home